Dealing with Difficult People and Managing Difficult Conversations
£155.00 – £185.00 + VAT
9:30am – 3:00pm – Live online
The gradual reopening of schools will potentially trigger feelings of worry, anxiety or concerns form staff and parents and the way they communicate these may be perceived as difficult behaviour. During times of crisis it is important that difficult situations are dealt with in a way to build and repair relationships and this course is intended to do just that!
Dealing with Difficult People:
In the morning we will look at dealing with difficult people to help those who want to develop greater confidence and skill in dealing with difficult people at work. The session aims to equip participants, whether they are working with parents, colleagues or supervisors – with a set of practical tools to handle these “tricky” situations effectively and empathetically.
Managing Difficult Conversations:
The second half of the day looks at how to handle these challenging conversations using an 8-Step blueprint that will help you feel more prepared, communicate confidently and in stay in control of the situation and yourself, which means things will go more smoothly, and you’ll have a far better chance of getting to the best possible outcome for all involved. It also means that you (and they) will experience less stress and anxiety in the process.
Dealing with Difficult People
• How to deal with difficult people and keep calm when under attack;
• Develop specific strategies for conflict resolution;
• Ways to deal with special requests;
• Effective ways to deliver bad news effectively;
• Practice communication skills;
• Practical ways to handle aggressive behaviour;
• Ways to shrug off the negative and not take things personally;
• Develop Influencing and negotiation skills to facilitate resolutions.
Dealing with Difficult Conversations
• Learn new strategies for handling difficult conversations effectively;
• Know how to structure the opening of a difficult conversation more effectively;
• Understand the problem and select appropriate level of approach to deal with it;
• Identify and visualise the best possible outcome;
• Effectively prepare physically for the conversation;
• Use a number of strategies to prepare mentally for the conversation;
• Select the best way to start a difficult conversation;
• Deal effectively with sensitive situations;
• How to think on your feet if the conversation takes an unexpected turn;
• Remain calm if the individual starts being offensive;
• Know what to say when everything else fails.
Aimed at anyone who works directly or indirectly with staff and parents who want to develop greater confidence and skill in dealing with difficult people and difficult conversations.
Ideal for school-based staff including head teachers, deputy headteacher, teachers, business manager, family support worker, SENCO, special education teacher, pastoral lead teacher, bursars, school PAs (personal assistants), designated safeguarding lead, school governors, education welfare officer, pastoral support, supervisor, school receptionist, local authority staff and multidisciplinary teams.
“Excellent – thank you. Thought provoking. Balance of theory and practice. Clear and well structured. Fun and varied. Comfortable environment.”
“Absolutely fantastic course, really enjoyed it. The trainer was excellent in delivering the course in a friendly and fun but informative way. I have learnt new skills that I can take away and hopefully practice.”
“A very effective training course, delivered in a very engaging way. The strategies will be very useful and all information was highly relevant. Thank you.”
“Fantastic, it’s given me lots of ideas and strategies. I can use in the class with parents and with staff, especially moving forward into my new role as deputy head. Engaging and purposeful, can really make changes around the school.”
Times: 9:30am – 3:00pm live online training via Zoom
Trainer will be in the room at 9:15am and until 3:30pm to answer any questions or for further information etc.
Breaks for mid morning and afternoon including an hour for lunch will also be given.
Questions and discussions are welcome throughout the training. We want to make this your day.
Information and links will be emailed to you prior and during the course.
Your pack including handouts, a M&S gift voucher for food, snack pen and notepad will be posted to you prior to the course.
We will ensure that the training day is made comfortable and stress free for you to enjoy wherever you are.
This course is also available as in-house / INSET training at your school. Contact us for details.
|Date and Location||
13th April 2021, 15th October 2021, 7th December 2021, 8 June 2021, 8th February 2021