Preventing School Exclusions – Effective behaviour management approaches and strategies
£155.00 – £185.00 + VAT
The ‘Preventing School Exclusions’ training course is designed to provide systems, strategies, procedures and checklists to help in reducing fixed term exclusions. Participants will look at ways to achieve excellence in behaviour management and student wellbeing through a tried and tested whole school model and will be given checklists to identify areas of concern along with ways to address needs and create effective student support plan and school exclusions project action plan.
The number of children permanently excluded from state primary, secondary and special schools is on the rise again, increasing by 19% over one academic year. In 2016/17, 2,755 students were permanently excluded for persistent disruptive behaviour, which includes defiance and persistent violation of school rules. This is the most common reason given for both fixed and permanent exclusions.
• Using a whole school approach to reduce behaviour and improve wellbeing, motivation and attendance;
• Look at effective ways to manage challenging behaviour;
• Explore strategies and methods of dealing with challenging behaviour and persistent disruptive behaviour;
• Unpick non-punitive approaches to deal with challenging behaviour;
• Discuss up-to-date research on reducing fixed term exclusions – what works and why;
• Understand the importance of checklists to identify concerns and needs;
• Exclusions and the link with student mental health;
• ACEs Adverse Childhood Experiences and attachment;
• Ways of working with student’s with additional needs;
• Unpick systems to provide positive transition from primary to secondary;
• Effective ways of working with families to improve positive behaviour strategies and boost resilience;
• Introduce frameworks to engage disengaged students and boost attendance;
• Create a school exclusions project action plan.
Aimed at anyone who works directly or indirectly with students and who wants to understand ways of reducing fixed term exclusions. Ideal for school-based staff including teachers, head teachers, deputy headteacher, education welfare officer, SENCO, special education teacher, classroom assistant, educational psychologists, pastoral care staff and pastoral lead teacher.
“A fantastic course, full of ideas and ways to move forward. Loads of take a ways that will help me to support our most vulnerable children.”
“A great day! Very practical and positive. Lots of ‘take-aways’. I now have lots to do! I also have lots of research books to read. Thank you”
“I really enjoyed the course it has been very beneficial, I have gained a lot of knowledge & we got m&S vouchers which is a bonus :)”
“Great course. Very insightful and has given me a lot of ideas to take back to the SLT and school. Currently in a position where exclusions is just part of life and not enough to tackle issues. Thanks for all the resources and support.”
“Once again, a really exceptional day which has given me so much that has built on previous training 2 years ago. I have got so much out of this to take away to skill up my wonderful children. Many thanks”
“Currently on a fantastic course looking at preventing school exclusions with NSM Training & Consultancy Ltd. I’ve come away with new skills and ideas to presents to my behaviour team.”
“Great Exclusions Training, very useful materials and quality of information provided.”
“Very impressed and encouraged by the hybrid of trauma informed and other practical strategies.”
“Excellent – very useful, practical strategies that can be implemented.”
Times: 9:30am – 3:00pm live online training via Zoom
Trainer will be in the room at 9:15am and until 3:30pm to answer any questions or for further information etc.
Breaks for mid morning and afternoon including an hour for lunch will also be given.
Questions and discussions are welcome throughout the training. We want to make this your day.
Information and links will be emailed to you prior and during the course.
Your pack including handouts, a M&S gift voucher for food, snack pen and notepad will be posted to you prior to the course.
We will ensure that the training day is made comfortable and stress free for you to enjoy wherever you are.
This course is also available as in-house / INSET training at your school. Contact us for details.
|Date and Location||
28th September 2021, 30th November 2021, 8th February 2022