Supporting Looked After Children and Young People – The School Role Course
The supporting looked after children and young people training course is designed for designated school staff to explore the needs of LAC students and the statutory guidance for looked after children. Participants will look at ways to ensure that this guidance is met effectively as well as the education outcomes for looked after children. Evidence suggests that school staff sometime need a deeper understanding regarding the experiences and needs of looked-after children and young people, therefore time will be spent looking at ways to overcome barriers for example around trauma, neglect and abuse and ways staff can support and nurture.
- • Understand the reasons children enter care and the issues that face looked after children;
- • Gain awareness of the legalities, the role and responsibilities of the school and the LAC designated teacher;
- • Look at strategies for supporting look after children’s educational stability, attainment and emotional well-being;
- • Unpick strategies and approaches to best support LAC students to achieve their full potential;
- • Gain an increased awareness of educational outcomes for looked after children;
- • Explore ideas for developing and implementing personal educational plans;
- • Understand methods for establishing effective liaison within the school and with outside agencies;
- • Discuss ideas for building good working relationships with carers and birth parents.
Aimed at anyone who works directly or indirectly with looked after children and young people parents andwant to develop greater confidence and skills in working in this field.
Ideal for school-based staff including the looked after children designated lead, deputy headteacher, teachers, family support worker,designated safeguarding lead, education welfare officer, pastoral support, supervisor, SENCO, special education teacher, school support staff, pastoral lead teacher, local authority staff and multidisciplinary teams.
This course can be delivered at your school / organisation. Contact us for further details.
|Date and Location|
Dates available as a course at your school/organisation