National School Attendance Conference Live Online
14th January 2022 live online via Zoom
Early bird rate £155 + VAT (if booked by December 31st 2021)
Standard rate £185 + VAT
Given the recent challenges faced with the pandemic, it is timely to hold a National Attendance Conference. Despite the challenges faced by schools, maintaining high levels of attendance has to be tackled as a priority.
This Conference will present the latest research evidence on improving school attendance and discuss a wide range of key related issues such as planning for the Covid-recovery process, re-engaging pupils and parents, addressing the mental health crisis, improving attainment as well as meeting the criteria for attendance set out by OFSTED/ESYN.
The specialist inputs will feature contributions from well-known experts in the field including Steve Burnage, Samantha Garner and Victoria Franklin.
Key topics covered:
• Look at effective ways and strategies to improve school attendance.
• Create an effective whole-school strategic approach.
• Unpick Ofsted/ESTYN criteria for attendance.
• Look at always to address persistent school absence.
• Understand the importance of safeguarding in relation to attendance..
• Understand ways to support Mental Health & Wellbeing
• Implement ways to re-connect and improve parental engagement.
Why should you attend?
Access the National School Attendance Conference from the comfort of your own home/office – with no tedious commute or spending time away, you’ll have access to the live online conference. Access the latest research, strategies and processes. We also will post your conference pack including speaker presentations, £10 M&S food voucher, KitKat, certificate, note pad and pen.
Who should attend?
Deputy and Assistant Headteachers
Education Welfare Officers
Heads of Year
Family Engagement Officers Local Authorities
“Very professional and informative day. It has given me some fantastic ideas to raise my attendance.”
“Extremely informative and very well presented. All speakers were very engaging and given me lots of ideas to take back to school. I’m now even more confident in raising our school attendances.”
“A fabulous way of learning from professional experts on attendance issues in schools where I fire-fight on a daily basis at work. Loved networking with like-minded colleagues.”
“Great ideas regarding how you target attendance and look at the whole picture.”
“Really good conference. Not only did we get a really comprehensive history of attendance issues, we came away understanding our statutory duties, Ofsted expectations – and crucially many ideas and practical advice that would be easy to implement but would have a very positive impact. I’m really glad I came and would highly recommend it to any Attendance lead.”
“Fantastic ideas and a good understanding of the value of attendance in schools and what to expect in an inspection.”
“I found that the conference gave me a lot of relevant advice about how to improve attendance and promote good relationships between the school and parents.”
“Really enjoyed the conference today and will go back to school with wealth of information and can’t wait to share with staff at work and start implementing strategies.”
“What a fantastic conference again from NSMTC. It really re-enforced how massively important having outstanding attendance in a school is. It also gave me some really good advice on how to achieve it.”
9.15 – 9.30 Registration and Welcome
09:30 – 10:20 Steve Burnage – Planning for the Covid-recovery process to improve attendance & latest research evidence on improving school attendance
• Unpick the challenges faced by attendance leaders and officers;
• Look at the present dilemmas about managing school attendance;
• How schools/colleges can improve their attendance strategy in light of Covid;
• Understand what is involved in the recovery planning process in order to create creating an inclusive culture.
10:20 – 10:25 Questions
10:25 – 11:15 Samantha Garner – Understand ways to support Mental Health & Wellbeing to improve attendance
• Examine how mental health affects attendance;
• Unpick the association between anxiety and poor school attendance;
• Follow a framework to identify mental health concerns and support attendance;
• Look at what additional support is needed to ensure settings are a protective factor rather than a risk factor;
• Implement ways to make schools/colleges safer places for pupils.
11:15 – 11:30 Break
11:30 – 12:20 Steve Burnage – Meeting Ofsted’s/Estyn’s criteria for school attendance
• Understand the attendance inspection criteria for Ofsted/Estyn;
• Unpick key issues along with helpful suggestions;
• Look at new information which can be included when presenting data;
• Understand the lessons and evidence from research.
12.20– 13.00 Questions / Lunch
13:00 – 13:55 Vicki Franklin – Create an effective whole-school strategic approach & Look at always to address persistent school absence
• Unpick systems when tackling persistent absence;
• Develop an understanding of the latest interventions, processes, strategies and interventions;
• Examine and assess the impact and success of current approaches;
• Discuss how to effectively identify pupils who could be at risk of persistent absence.
13:55 – 14:00 Questions / Lunch
14:00 – 14.50 Steve Burnage – Taking a whole system approach to safeguarding and attendance
• Understand the challenges and barriers for parental engagement;
• Unpick what effective communication looks like when discussing sensitive issues;
• Look at ways to reduce parental concerns and anxiety;
• Unpick ways to engage disaffected and hard to reach parents;
• Look at ways to reinforcing the importance of high attendance levels;
• Discuss the benefits of creating a welcoming, caring environment for families and pupils.
14:50 – 14:55 Questions
14:55 – 15:30 Samantha Garner – Implement ways to re-connect and improve parental engagement
15:30 – 15:35 Feedback & Close
Times: 9:30am – 3:35pm live online conference via Zoom.
Speakers will be in the room at 9:15am and until 4:00pm to answer any questions or for further information etc.
Breaks for mid morning and afternoon including 40 minutes scheduled for lunch will also be given.
Questions and discussions are welcome throughout the conference. We want to make this your day.
Information and links will be emailed to you prior and during the conference.
Your pack including handouts, an M&S gift voucher, snack pen and notepad will be posted to you prior to the conference.
We will ensure that the conference day is made comfortable and stress free for you to enjoy wherever you are.
This conference is also available as in-house / INSET training at your school. Contact us for details.
|Date and Location||
14th January 2022